Hampton Inn Invitational
• Michigan Tech, ranked 19th in the world, will travel to Kenosha, Wisconsin this weekend for the Hampton Inn Invitational in Parkside.
• Tech will play Upper Iowa (2:00 PM ET) and McKendry (6:00 PM) on Friday, followed by Springfield, Illinois (10:00 AM) and Minnesota Crookston (6:00 PM) on Saturday. Closing.
look at the husky
• This weekend’s games will be streamed on FloSports, along with all home and GLIAC games.
• Michigan Tech fans can watch all home and conference games in volleyball, basketball, football, soccer and hockey with one subscription.
• A FloSports subscription costs $29.99/month or $149.99/year. Discounts apply to subscribers with .edu email addresses.
• FloSports is available on iOS, Android, Apple TV, Roku, Amazon Fire, and Chromecast.
Gliac Setter of the Week
• Senior Lina Espejo Ramirez is the GLIAC setter of the week, the league announced on Tuesday.
• Espejo-Ramirez averaged 9.58 assists and 2.92 digs per set as he led Michigan Tech to a 4-0 record at the Otter Invitational in California. She was named to the All-Tournament Team.
• Espejo-Ramirez had two double-doubles over the weekend. That included a Tech career-high 33 assists for him and added 11 digs in Cal State Dominguez Hills’ 3-0 sweep. She had 115 assists, 35 digs, 8 kills, 6 blocks and 4 aces on the weekend.
• Michigan Tech ranked 19th in this week’s AVCA Division II Coaches Poll.
• Huskies ranked 19th, the highest since 1996.
• Black and Gold ranked 23rd in 2022 preseason voting and finished 22nd in 2021.
• The Huskies started the 2022 season with a 4-0 record at the Otter Invitational at California State University’s Monterey Bay campus last weekend. They were all straight sets.
• Tech swept Cal Poly Pomona, Academy of Art, Cal State Dominguez Hills and host CSUMB.
Otter All Tournament Team
• Outside hitter Jillian Quizenga was named MVP of the Otter Invitational and made the All-Tournament Team after averaging 3.25 kills and .265 per set over the weekend.
• Setter Lina Espejo Ramirez and libero Carissa Beyer were also named to the All-Tournament Team. Espejo his Ramirez averaged 9.58 assists per set and 2.92 digs per set. Bayer led the Huskies defense with 3.8 digs per set.
Preseason GLIAC Vote
• In the 2022 preseason coaches’ poll, the Huskies finished second in GLIAC, behind Grand Valley State.
• The Lakers scored 68 points and the Huskies scored 66 points. Wayne State ranks his third with 64 points, while Ferris State (62 points) ranks in the top four. Davenport (No. 55), Northern Michigan (No. 48), Saginaw Valley and Parkside (No. 26) also made the top eight. Lake Superior and Purdue Northwester were 9th and 10th.
• Head coach Matt Jennings is in his 10th season with 175 wins overall.
• Under Jennings, the Huskies started at the bottom of the conference and consistently ranked nationally in the NCAA Tournament.
• Jennings sent the Huskies to their fourth straight NCAA Tournament from 2017-2021.
• He was named GLIAC Coach of the Year in 2019 and 2017 and led the team to a program record of 10 consecutive wins to start the 2016 season.
• The Spring 2021 team won the GLIAC regular season title for the second time in program history, with the 2021 team completely repeating the feat.
• Cindy Pindral was promoted to assistant head coach during the offseason.
• Head Coach Matt Jennings has been added to the NCAA Women’s Volleyball National Committee, representing the Midwest region through September 2026.
• Tech finished the Fall 2021 season with an overall record of 25-7, ranking 22nd in the AVCA’s final Top 25 poll.
• The Huskies won the GLIAC regular season championship for the second straight season and the third time in program history with a conference record of 14-1.
• Black and Gold made their fourth consecutive NCAA Tournament appearance and reached the Midwest semifinals for the fifth time in school history.
All Greak Returners
• Carissa Beyer – Fall 2021 All-GLIAC Second Team
• Janie Grindland – Spring 2021 All-GLIAC Second Team
• Jillian Kuizenga – 2-time All-GLIAC Special Award Winner
• GLIAC’s schedule kicks off next weekend with the first home matches of the season against Davenport (September 9) and Grand Valley State University (September 10).
• Four-game homestands against Ferris State (September 16) and Lake Superior State (September 17) will follow.
• The first road GLIAC match of the season will be in northern Michigan on Tuesday, September 20th.